Monday 20 June 2011

Windpower!

As I made my way down St Magnus Lane on Monday morning, from the Cathedral to the Orkney Library and Archive (to wrestle the pictures off my phone onto my PC, with the assistance of their excellent free WiFi), I was idly wondering where the rehearsal for Tuesday evening's Windpower concert was taking place. Suddenly from the open door of the Orkney Youth Cafe a blast of brass and woodwind answered the question!

The massed forces of Kirkwall Town Band, Orkney schools brass, wind and percussion, and other local players are working hard today, with conductor Ben Gurnon, on the music for the concert at the Pickaquoy Centre on Tuesday at 1800. They will play alongside the Scottish Chamber Orchestra brass and wind sections, Flutes en Route, Pipers 3 and Pure Brass.

Harriet Stout, clarinetist, who recently left Stromness Academy after her 6th year writes:

Over the years I’ve enjoyed playing clarinet in instrumental courses and swing bands. Performing in an enormous band with professional musicians from different backgrounds is something I never imagined I’d get the chance to do. I've played in the Pickaquoy Centre Arena many times; it has an incredible atmosphere, and it will be a great venue for Windpower, which is going to be a spectacular concert. Our conductor, Ben Gernon, is very enthusiastic and helpful, so we have not felt under too much pressure to play the right notes first time.


The programme includes a wide variety of pieces, from the sensational Music of the Royal Fireworks by Handel, to the Latin-American inspired Tico Tico by Zequinha de Abreu. The concert also includes the world premiere of Caliban’s Boogie, which was composed specifically for this year's festival by Simon Wills. So far, the pieces have proved to be enjoyable to play, if somewhat challenging in parts. The fact that we will be playing with some of the best brass and wind musicians in the country, has really motivated us, and we want to achieve the best result possible. It’s been a great experience so far and I’m hoping I can learn from the people who play professionally. The whole thing has motivated me to continue playing and improving for as long as I can. I’m excited to play in my first St. Magnus Festival and, if you are coming to watch on Tuesday evening, I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment